Osteoarthritis of the thumb & Wrist joints
What is osteoarthritis?
- Osteoarthritis is a common condition and is part of the normal aging process where the slippery cartilage within the joints wear and cause inflammation.
- Osteoarthritis may affect any joint, including the hand, wrist, neck, back, knee and hip and is more common in weight bearing joints.
What causes the problem?
- Ageing joints
- Previous injuries
- Over use of the hands in certain professions.
How do I manage this problem?
- Anti-inflammatiry medications may help with the swelling and pain.
- Hot water baths may be helpful
- There is no special osteoarthritis diet
- Take regular breaks during stressful activities
What other treatments are available?
- Steroid injections can be beneficial to control the pain
- Occasionally your thumb arthritis may benefit from surgery